On Friday afternoon, September 25, 2015, Pope Francis visited Our Lady Queen of Angels (OLQA) in East Harlem. He met with principals and students from OLQA, St. Paul, St. Charles Borromeo, and St. Ann as well as 150 immigrants and refugees assisted by Catholic Charities.
Special highlights included:
- Pope Francis was presented gifts by 150 immigrants and refugees as they had a prayer service. The gospel of Matthew was said in English, Spanish, Creole, Chinese, Arabic, Wolof, and French and the service was closed with The Lord's Prayer and a blessing by the pontiff.
- When he visited the classrooms at OLQA, he learned how to use a smartboard and what their daily activities and lessons are in school. He requested and encouraged them to do a few things as "homework":
- To keep smiling & spreading joy
- To never give up on their dreams
- To pray for him
- He was presented with a Spiritual Bouquet at OLQA - A collection of prayers accompanied by photographs of students and student drawings, bound in a hard cover book.
Choosing Our Lady Queen of Angels for your child and your family is the first step in joining a community of learners and teachers, mentors and guides, so thank you for giving us an opportunity to introduce you to our school, our staff and our family.
As the principal of OLQA, I am eager to get to know your child and to introduce your family to our warm, supportive and academically rigorous community. Here at OLQA we are dedicated to ensuring that our students receive a well-rounded education that will serve them in high school, college and throughout their lives. We believe all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and we welcome children of all faiths.
All families can apply for need-based scholarships. With a scholarship, tuition can be as low as $110 per month.
As you explore our website, you will see that OLQA offers a variety of unique opportunities that reflect our mission to educate the whole child. The extended academic day, running from 8 am to 4 pm, means that your student will have time for enrichment programs including ballroom dancing, music, and studio art. OLQA’s after-school program is open to students in all grades and runs until 6 pm each day. After-school provides homework help and also allows students to explore new hobbies through activities like chess, cooking, technology, drama, and science.
At OLQA, we work to support families throughout the entire high school admissions and scholarship process. Our graduates attend a variety of schools including but not limited to Regis, All Hallows, Mt. Saint Michael Academy, Notre Dame School, and Xavier.
Seeing our classrooms will give you the best idea of what our school offers. We appreciate that it is important to find the right fit when looking for a school for your child, so please feel free to ask questions.
We are still accepting applications for select grades. Spaces are limited and fill up quickly, so I encourage you to apply today. If you have any questions, please call or email Nina DeMeo at 212-722-9277 ext. 3 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of all our teachers and families here at Our Lady Queen of Angels, we look forward to working with you and welcoming you to our community. Thank you.